It’s crawfish season which means crawfish pies (and crawfish everything)! Crawfish tails are about as inexpensive as you will ever see them throughout the year. Although it is tempting to buy the Chinese crawfish tails, avoid them. They are tough and tasteless and your purchase will do little to help our local Louisiana seafood economy. Be true to Louisiana and you will be happy with our fat, succulent and authentic crawfish. This recipe is originally from Frank Davis with a few adaptations by the chef, moi! Check out more of my crawfish recipes like boiled crawfish and crawfish bread!
- Prep Time
- 1 lb crawfish tails, peeled (buy bag which has not been frozen)
- 1 dozen frozen mini pie shells, baked until lightly browned
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6-8 green onions, chopped, green part only
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Season with thyme, basil and salt to taste
- Make a light roux in a cast iron pot with the flour and oil. Stir until nutty brown color. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and carrots and cook until tender. When veggies are wilted, add remaining ingredients; parsley, paprika, cayenne, white pepper, salt, chopped egg, thyme and basil. Add cream.
- Separate crawfish tails into 2 portions and chop ½ of tails in food processor or blender until lightly chopped. DO NOT OVER PROCESS.
- The remainder of the tails will remain whole. Fold the chopped tails and whole tails into this mixture. If the mixture appears to be too dry add a little water or more cream.
- Mix gently and then spoon mixture into cooled mini pie shells. Pack filling tightly and make it rounded at the top. Place filled crawfish pies on a sheet pan and place in 350 oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until thoroughly heated.
Sparkling grapefruit sangria is a fruity twist on traditional Spanish sangria. Lillet, grapefruit juice, and a splash of Prosecco create...
I love chicken salad, especially New Orleans style chicken salad. It's the perfect option for a casual lunch on the...
This crawfish bread is a crowd favorite. The perfect use for a bag of crawfish tails or those leftover tails...
For as many chefs that exist in Louisiana, there are an equal number of recipes and techniques for boiling crawfish....
It’s crawfish season which means crawfish pies (and crawfish everything)! Crawfish tails are about as inexpensive as you will ever...