It’s the season. Crawfish tails are about as inexpensive as you will ever see them throughout the year. Although it is tempting to buy the Chinese crawfish tails, avoid them. They are tough and tasteless and your purchase will do little to help our local Louisiana seafood economy. Be true to Louisiana and you will be happy with our fat, succulent and authentic crawfish. This recipe is originally from Frank Davis with a few adaptations by the chef, moi!
- Prep Time
- 1 lb crawfish tails, peeled (buy bag which has not been frozen)
- 1 dozen frozen mini pie shells, baked until lightly browned
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6-8 green onions, chopped, green part only
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Season with thyme, basil and salt to taste
- Make a light roux in a cast iron pot with the flour and oil. Stir until nutty brown color. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and carrots and cook until tender. When veggies are wilted, add remaining ingredients; parsley, paprika, cayenne, white pepper, salt, chopped egg, thyme and basil. Add cream.
- Separate crawfish tails into 2 portions and chop ½ of tails in food processor or blender until lightly chopped. DO NOT OVER PROCESS.
- The remainder of the tails will remain whole. Fold the chopped tails and whole tails into this mixture. If the mixture appears to be too dry add a little water or more cream.
- Mix gently and then spoon mixture into cooled mini pie shells. Pack filling tightly and make it rounded at the top. Place filled crawfish pies on a sheet pan and place in 350 oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until thoroughly heated.
These rich ginger snap cookies give you a double hit of ginger; ground ginger and crystallized ginger. Cinnamon, cloves...
To make this authentic Indian fish curry you begin by toasting and grinding the fragrant spices to create a paste...
Saag paneer, saag referring to greens in Indian cuisine, is usually made with spinach and paneer, an Indian cheese. You...
Roasted beet hummus calls for only a few ingredients, fresh roasted beets and Greek yogurt with an array of fragrant...
The reputation of the apple tarte Tatin, an upside down caramelized apple tart, is not based on it being the...