It’s the season. Crawfish tails are about as inexpensive as you will ever see them throughout the year. Although it is tempting to buy the Chinese crawfish tails, avoid them. They are tough and tasteless and your purchase will do little to help our local Louisiana seafood economy. Be true to Louisiana and you will be happy with our fat, succulent and authentic crawfish. This recipe is originally from Frank Davis with a few adaptations by the chef, moi!
- Prep Time
- 1 lb crawfish tails, peeled (buy bag which has not been frozen)
- 1 dozen frozen mini pie shells, baked until lightly browned
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6-8 green onions, chopped, green part only
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Season with thyme, basil and salt to taste
- Make a light roux in a cast iron pot with the flour and oil. Stir until nutty brown color. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and carrots and cook until tender. When veggies are wilted, add remaining ingredients; parsley, paprika, cayenne, white pepper, salt, chopped egg, thyme and basil. Add cream.
- Separate crawfish tails into 2 portions and chop ½ of tails in food processor or blender until lightly chopped. DO NOT OVER PROCESS.
- The remainder of the tails will remain whole. Fold the chopped tails and whole tails into this mixture. If the mixture appears to be too dry add a little water or more cream.
- Mix gently and then spoon mixture into cooled mini pie shells. Pack filling tightly and make it rounded at the top. Place filled crawfish pies on a sheet pan and place in 350 oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until thoroughly heated.
This Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Chèvre and Kalamata Olives is a delicious, light summertime salad. I love the thinly sliced...Read More
Casarecce is a type of pasta that's popular in Southern Italty. I added roasted cauliflower florets, anchovies, walnuts, lemon and...
This Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Chèvre and Kalamata Olives is a delicious, light summertime salad. I love the thinly sliced...
These peach mojitos are a delicious take on a classic mojito, a refreshing rum, fresh mint, and lime drink from...
Ground lamb inspired me to create Mediterranean inspired nachos, seasoned ground lamb,greek salad and tzatziki atop toasted pita chips.
These blueberry muffins are not overly sweet like some. They are light, not too dense, and overflowing with blueberry goodness!