I usually garnish this dense chocolate torte with handmade chocolate raspberry truffles. However, as a tribute to the Louisiana strawberry, or any strawberry for that matter, I decided to chocolate dip the berries and line the perimeter of the torte with these dazzling jewels. Sometimes I make mini tortes in a 6” pan or a heart-shaped pan. Great gift for the chocolate lovers in your life and for special occasions like Valentine’s Day.
Chocolate Strawberry Torte
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Chocolate Torte:
- 4 oz chocolate
- 8 oz butter
- ⅓ cups rum
- 6 eggs (separated)
- 1 ⅓ cups sugar
- 9 tbsp cake flour
- 1 ⅓ cups ground almond
- Pinch of salt
- Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 ⅔ cups heavy cream
- 2 oz butter
- Strawberry Glaze
- ½ cup seedless raspberry jam
- 6 tsp water
- 12-14 fresh strawberries cleaned and hulled
- Chocolate Torte: Preheat oven to 350. Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler or in a glass bowl in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Add 1/3 C rum. Beat egg yolks with sugar until thick and creamy. Stir in chocolate. Add flour and ground almonds. Fold all together. Beat egg whites with salt until stiff. Fold by thirds gently into the chocolate batter. Pour batter into greased and floured 12” spring form pan or 2- 6” spring form pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes until done.
- Chocolate Ganache: Melt chocolate and cream. Stir in butter and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and blended. Allow torte to cool then remove from the pan. Glaze with chocolate ganache. Place in the refrigerator to cool and harden.
- Raspberry Glaze: Place raspberry jam and water in a glass measuring cup. Whisk until smooth and microwave briefly until jam liquefies. Use a small pastry brush to “paint” the glaze on to the chilled chocolate torte until smooth and shiny. Work quickly with a light touch and try not to brush over the same area more than once.
- Strawberries: Dip 1 dozen or more cleaned strawberries in your favorite melted chocolate glaze. Use a dab of chocolate on the flat surface of the strawberry to adhere it to the torte. I usually get 12 slices from this torte so I place 12 strawberries symmetrically around the perimeter so each slice will have a luscious chocolate dipped strawberry.
Lemon, Dijon chicken, and orzo salad is the perfect main for a hot summer night. The ingredients can be prepared...
The Old Florida Mockingbird, a mixture of dark rum, honey and cardamon syrup stirred gently together and poured into an...
Tapas are usually served as appetizers in bars and cafes across Spain. Spanish tortilla, a popular tapa made with eggs,...
My first introduction to octopus, octopus that was full flavored, not too chewy, and actually appealed to me, was in...
It's summer so let's make oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches. Maybe dip it in a little chocolate ganache because what...