I love recipes that are not really recipes. All you need are the fundamentals, in this case, sticky rice and a protein. Then add a few of your favorite things to this base. I like to think of this recipe also as a deconstructed sushi roll. Maybe a california roll? Or teriyaki salmon? Chef’s choice so get creative!
Sushi Sticky Rice Bowl
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Sushi Sticky Rice:
- 1 ½ cups sushi rice
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Teriyaki Salmon:
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup mirin
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 lb. salmon cut into 4 strips (or read the recipe if you want to substitute or add tofu)
- Vegetables and other ingredients:
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 carrot either grated or cut into small sticks
- Can add sauteed greens like spinach or some seaweed
- Toasted nori, 1 sheet, cut into strips
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Sriracha Mayonnaise:
- ½ cup mayo
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha, depending on how much heat you like
- Rinse and cook the rice according to directions on package. After cooked, remove rice from pot and place it in a non metallic bowl.
- Heat rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small pot or glass bowl in microwave until solids are dissolved. Pour this mixture into rice bowl, stir and let it rest at room temperature for several hours.
- Combine first 5 ingredients for teriyaki sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Place salmon filets on a foil lined sheet pan and glaze with half of the cooled teriyaki sauce.
- Preheat oven to broil. Place pan with salmon under the broiler and cook for 3 minutes, remove, add more glaze then cook for another 3 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Remove skin from salmon. Sometimes I substitute tofu or use tofu and salmon together. Purchase the extra firm tofu. I saute the tofu gently on medium heat in a lightly oiled skillet until brown and a little crisp.
- Divide the sticky rice into 4 portions and place each portion in a bowl. Toss with some of the remaining teriyaki sauce.
- Now, this is where your creativity comes into play. You can arrange the remainder of the ingredients however you like to make a colorful and appealing presentation. Artfully arrange and divide avocado and cucumber slices, tofu and greens, (if you decided to use these), carrot sticks, and green onions. I also like to add cooked and shelled edamame. Pour over any teriyaki sauce that is remaining.
- Garnish with nori and toasted sesame seeds. You can either drizzle the sticky rice bowl ingredients with sriracha mayonnaise or pass separately so guests can add as much heat as they like. Love this versatile dish. So healthy and delicious.
This Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Chèvre and Kalamata Olives is a delicious, light summertime salad. I love the thinly sliced...Read More
Casarecce is a type of pasta that's popular in Southern Italty. I added roasted cauliflower florets, anchovies, walnuts, lemon and...
This Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Chèvre and Kalamata Olives is a delicious, light summertime salad. I love the thinly sliced...
These peach mojitos are a delicious take on a classic mojito, a refreshing rum, fresh mint, and lime drink from...
Ground lamb inspired me to create Mediterranean inspired nachos, seasoned ground lamb,greek salad and tzatziki atop toasted pita chips.
These blueberry muffins are not overly sweet like some. They are light, not too dense, and overflowing with blueberry goodness!