Another essential component of the New Year’s day menu or for anytime of the year. Can be vegetarian or for you meat lovers, add a little bacon for that southern smoky flavor. More comfort food in one pot! Make this with or without my black eyed peas recipe.
Published on January 7, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 new potatoes, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp oil or fat rendered from 5 slices of chopped bacon
- salt and pepper
- Quarter the cabbage and remove the hard core from each quarter. Half each quarter and chop the cabbage into 2-3" squares.
- Cut the onion in half and slice it into thin half circles.
- Cut the new potatoes in 1/4" slices
- Use a cast iron or heavy bottomed dutch oven. Heat the oil or render fat from chopped bacon.
- When oil is hot, or bacon has been lightly browned if you are using it, add sliced onions and potatoes to the pot.
- Cook over a low fire until the onions and potatoes are slightly browned. Stir gently so as not to break up the potatoes.
- Add the chopped cabbage and mix in thoroughly. Add 3 cups of water.
- Sprinkle in fresh thyme, salt and pepper to taste, and a little cajun seasoning to give it a kick if you like.
- Cover the pot tightly with a lid and cook over low heat allowing the cabbage to "smother" until tender.
- Taste the cabbage and the potatoes after about 20 minutes. If they are tender then you are ready to indulge and enjoy prosperity and wealth for the new year or anytime. Great as a side by side dish with black eyed peas and cornbread.
- Servings : 10
- Recipe Type : All Recipes, Mains, Vegetable Dishes & Sides, vegetarian
Creole Remoulade Sauce
My family has passed down this recipe for spicy New Orleans style Creole remoulade sauce for generations. I serve it...Read More
Spicy Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita
This sweet and spicy margarita is perfect for a warm spring evening or a hot summer night. Cinco de Mayo...Read More
Sesame Ginger Miso Veggie Bowl
Sesame ginger miso veggie bowl or any kind of bowl with a mixture of fresh ingredients allows for flexibility and...Read More
Comments are closed.