Are you looking for foods to boost your immune system or for an ideal and easy brunch menu? This recipe for shakshuka will provide both. Last year I published my recipe for green shakshuka. This recipe is for red and yellow pepper and tomato shakshuka. The brightly colored peppers in this recipe are full of nutrients such as vitamins C, A and B6, and antioxidants. Eat shakshuka, live longer!
Published on April 3, 2020 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 3 large bell peppers, red, orange or yellow or a combination of all
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 TBSP chopped parsley
- 6 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp saffron
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6-8 eggs
- 2 TBSP cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Heat oven to 375. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet of a large enough skillet that can contain 6-8 eggs and be placed in the oven.
- Sauté onions, peppers and garlic over low to medium heat. When vegetables have wilted and are soft, add spices, parsley and bay leaf.
- Let cook for a couple of minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, saffron, salt and peppers. Continue to cook over low heat for 15 minutes. If the mixture appears dry, add a little water to keep it saucy.
- At this point you can decide how you wish to prepare eggs. There are 3 options. Make a small well in the pepper mixture and break the eggs directly into the well. Cover the pan and allow eggs to poach with vegetable mixture. Or, break eggs into wells and place pan uncovered in the oven for 7-10 minutes until set. Final option is to divide the shakshuka mixture into 4 large round ramekins. Break 1-2 eggs into each ramekin with sautéed vegetables. Bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes.
- Once the shakshuka is removed from the oven, use a large serving spoon to serve each person or if you chose to bake eggs in a ramekin, place a ramekin with baked eggs on each plate. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.