One of the recipes in “The Real Taste of Spain”, a cookbook I recently featured in my “how many cookbooks is enough“, these peppers make a great appetizer or vegetable side dish. I changed up the original recipe a bit and elected to use fresh mini sweet peppers rather than canned piquillo peppers. I also added a little feta and cream with the goat cheese to enhance the flavor and rich creaminess of the filling.
Piquillos Rellenos de Queso de Cabra, Goat Cheese and Feta Stuffed Peppers
Published on June 2, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- For the sauce:
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 TBSP heavy cream
- For the peppers:
- 1-8 oz jar of piquillo peppers or 8 fresh sweet mini peppers briefly steamed and seeded
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 3 oz feta
- 2 -3 TBSP heavy cream
- 3 TBSP capers, rinsed
- 2 TBSP pine nuts
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400. Heat oil and sauté chopped onions for about 5 minutes until soft and wilted. Add garlic and sauté briefly then add cream and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and keep warm.
- If you are using canned or jarred peppers set aside 8-12 peppers, drain, and seed if necessary. If you choose to use fresh mini peppers place them in a shallow dish with about 1/2" water. Cut a slit in each pepper for stuffing, remove seeds, cover the dish and microwave peppers for 2 minutes. Remove steamed peppers from dish and place on a platter for stuffing.
- Crumble the goat cheese and feta and place in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse lightly. Add cream and blend until smooth. Next add capers, pine nuts, black pepper and chopped herbs. Pulse briefly to incorporate. Stuff the reserved peppers with the cheese mixture.
- Place the sauce in a baking dish. Arrange the stuffed peppers on top and bake briefly until peppers are warmed through for about 10 minutes. Drizzle with a little olive oil and serve.