French brioche is a rich buttery yeast bread with lots of eggs and butter yet it feels so light and airy. This tender bread like pastry has a dark and slightly crunchy crust and is delicious for breakfast with coffee or tea or for lunch filled with your favorite chicken salad or other savory delight. Hot brioche is a Christmas morning tradition in our family with a side of smoked salmon or just a simple raspberry jam.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 5 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 3 cups unsifted bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 10 ounces butter, room temperature
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons water, beaten lightly with a fork
- Proof yeast, 5 TBSP water, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp yeast in a small bowl.
- Place 2/3 cups flour, 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons yeast in mixer or processor and mix until well combined and fairly smooth.
- I use a standing mixer with stainless steel bowls and a paddle. Add water yeast mixture and blend.
- Add 2 1/3 cups flour on top, do not mix. Cover bowl with a dish towel or a tea towel and let stand for 2 hours.
- Add remaining sugar, 5 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon salt and 4 cold eggs. Blend or process for 1-2 minutes until smooth and shiny. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Scrape dough into lightly floured bowl, sprinkle with flour and cover with plastic. Let stand until double in bulk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, deflate by punching dough down, and refrigerate again. (I usually do this part overnight)
- Remove from fridge, shape into one dozen small round balls and place each one in greased brioche pans or greased muffin tins. Reserve a small amount of dough for brioche tops.
- Make an indentation on top of the larger ball and use about 1 tsp of dough to make another small ball and place it like a top knot in the indented area.
- Brush lightly with egg wash and let rise for at least an hour. Bake 5 minutes at 425 then 375 foremother 10-15 minutes until done. Should be golden brown and cooked in center yet tender.
Smashed potatoes taste heavenly with a bit of crispy and creamy all in one mouthful. I can bet that your...
These rich ginger snap cookies give you a double hit of ginger; ground ginger and crystallized ginger. Cinnamon, cloves...
To make this authentic Indian fish curry you begin by toasting and grinding the fragrant spices to create a paste...
Saag paneer, saag referring to greens in Indian cuisine, is usually made with spinach and paneer, an Indian cheese. You...
Roasted beet hummus calls for only a few ingredients, fresh roasted beets and Greek yogurt with an array of fragrant...