French brioche is a rich buttery yeast bread with lots of eggs and butter yet it feels so light and airy. This tender bread like pastry has a dark and slightly crunchy crust and is delicious for breakfast with coffee or tea or for lunch filled with your favorite chicken salad or other savory delight. Hot brioche is a Christmas morning tradition in our family with a side of smoked salmon or just a simple raspberry jam.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 5 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 3 cups unsifted bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 10 ounces butter, room temperature
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons water, beaten lightly with a fork
- Proof yeast, 5 TBSP water, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp yeast in a small bowl.
- Place 2/3 cups flour, 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons yeast in mixer or processor and mix until well combined and fairly smooth.
- I use a standing mixer with stainless steel bowls and a paddle. Add water yeast mixture and blend.
- Add 2 1/3 cups flour on top, do not mix. Cover bowl with a dish towel or a tea towel and let stand for 2 hours.
- Add remaining sugar, 5 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon salt and 4 cold eggs. Blend or process for 1-2 minutes until smooth and shiny. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Scrape dough into lightly floured bowl, sprinkle with flour and cover with plastic. Let stand until double in bulk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, deflate by punching dough down, and refrigerate again. (I usually do this part overnight)
- Remove from fridge, shape into one dozen small round balls and place each one in greased brioche pans or greased muffin tins. Reserve a small amount of dough for brioche tops.
- Make an indentation on top of the larger ball and use about 1 tsp of dough to make another small ball and place it like a top knot in the indented area.
- Brush lightly with egg wash and let rise for at least an hour. Bake 5 minutes at 425 then 375 foremother 10-15 minutes until done. Should be golden brown and cooked in center yet tender.
Lemon, Dijon chicken, and orzo salad is the perfect main for a hot summer night. The ingredients can be prepared...
The Old Florida Mockingbird, a mixture of dark rum, honey and cardamon syrup stirred gently together and poured into an...
Tapas are usually served as appetizers in bars and cafes across Spain. Spanish tortilla, a popular tapa made with eggs,...
My first introduction to octopus, octopus that was full flavored, not too chewy, and actually appealed to me, was in...
It's summer so let's make oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches. Maybe dip it in a little chocolate ganache because what...