Instead of the usual gazpacho, this is a thicker, creamier, but without cream, cold tomato soup. This style of cold soup originated in the city of Córdoba in the south of Spain. This bright orange intensely flavored soup shouts “viva Espagne” to me.
Salmorejo Cordobes, Cold tomato soup from Spain
Published on August 28, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- 2 cups room-temperature water
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 cups (packed) coarsely torn day-old baguette with crust (about 4 ounces)
- 10 plum tomatoes or 5 medium to large home grown tomatoes, halved, seeded, coarsely chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup Sherry wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 cup lightly flavored extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped Serrano ham, optional, (about 1 1/2 ounces) Can substitute prosciutto.
- Spanish olive oil or another fruity olive oil (for drizzling)
- Stir 2 cups water and 1 tablespoon coarse salt in medium bowl to dissolve. Add bread and soak 30 minutes. Squeeze excess liquid from bread; reserve soaking liquid.
- Puree half each of chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, Sherry wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, and garlic in blender or food processor until very smooth. With machine running, gradually add half of bread, adding reserved soaking liquid by tablespoonfuls if mixture is too thick to blend.
- Puree until very smooth. With machine running, gradually add half of extra-virgin olive oil (mixture will turn slightly orange). Transfer to large bowl.
- Repeat with remaining chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, Sherry wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, garlic, bread, and oil. The soup will turn a beautiful deep orange color as the bread and olive oil are added.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours up to 1 day. Season to taste with salt. Divide soup among small bowls. Sprinkle chopped egg and Serrano ham over top of each bowl. Drizzle with Spanish olive oil and serve.
- Servings : 8 servings of bisque with 6-8 stuffed heads/person. Extra stuffed heads can be frozen.
- Cook Time : 120 Min