I must give credit to Smitten Kitchen for her adaptation of the original recipe for these roasted rainbow carrots. She received her inspiration from The Spotted Pig and ABC Kitchen in New York. All cooks love the challenge of eating in a restaurant and then trying to re-create something phenomenal that you had there in your own kitchen. May not be exactly the same, but that’s the point. Create and re-create. How can you go wrong with roasted fresh carrots, cumin, coriander, avocado and yogurt? Hope that you choose to try this simple recipe in your kitchen.
Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Spices, Avocado, and Yogurt
Published on March 7, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- For the Carrots:
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted cooled and ground
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted, cooled and ground
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarse or kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 pounds thin-to-medium carrots, washed, not peeled; mixed rainbow colors if you can find them. Not essential
- To finish:
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP orange juice (from about 1/4 orange)
- 2 TBSP lemon juice (from about 1/2 lemon)
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1 large or 2 medium firm-ripe avocados, cut in thin slices
- 1 cup of sprouts, such as alfalfa or lentil
- 1/4 cup of plain yogurt
- 2 TBSP roasted pumpkin seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a metal sheet pan with foil for easy cleanup. Pour 1/4 cup water in bottom of pan.
- Make the spice paste by either pounding the cumin, coriander, thyme, salt and peppers in a mortar and pestle until roughly ground, or blending in a small food processor. If you use spices that are already ground, just combine them in the bottom of a large bowl. Combine prepared spices, salt and pepper, garlic, vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil and whisk to blend. Add carrots and toss to coat.
- Spread carrots, drizzling with any extra marinade, in prepared pans and cover tightly with foil. Do not stack the carrots. Use 2 pans if needed. Roast for 25 minutes covered. Then remove the foil and roast for 35 minutes more, until the carrots are lightly browned and tender but not falling apart.
- While the carrots are roasting, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, orange and lemon juices in a small dish with salt and pepper. When carrots are done, scatter with avocado and sprouts then drizzle with the citrus dressing. Place a dollop of yogurt over the top and sprinkle with seeds.
- Servings : 6
- Recipe Type : All Recipes, Vegetable Dishes & Sides, vegetarian
Creole Remoulade Sauce
My family has passed down this recipe for spicy New Orleans style Creole remoulade sauce for generations. I serve it...Read More
Spicy Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita
This sweet and spicy margarita is perfect for a warm spring evening or a hot summer night. Cinco de Mayo...Read More
Sesame Ginger Miso Veggie Bowl
Sesame ginger miso veggie bowl or any kind of bowl with a mixture of fresh ingredients allows for flexibility and...Read More
Comments are closed.