Cooking with friends and sharing and swapping recipes is one of my favorite things, especially during the holidays. My friend Peggy has a well-balanced, adventurous palate and a penchant for butter and cream. This is one of her signature appetizers and a wonderful holiday hors d’oeuvres that is meatless and on the lighter side. It is appropriate for those lacto vegetarians in your life. For as long as I have known Peggy and we have shared kitchens, culinary experiences, dining out and mostly savoring food together, I will always associate her with this mushroom pate.
Published on December 16, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 4 TBSP of olive oil
- 1/2 stick of butter or 2 oz of ghee
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1lb of button mushrooms, cleaned and minced
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp sage or I use 1/2 tsp thyme and 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 cup of grated parmesan reggiano
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 TBSP heavy cream or sour cream
- Remove tough part of mushroom stems. Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel. Roughly chop the mushrooms. Place in a food processor and pulse until minced.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the chopped onions until wilted but not browned. Add mushrooms and sauté with onions until most of the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates. Add butter or ghee. Allow the butter to slowly melt and combine with mushroom onion mixture.
- Next add dried herbs of your choice and seasonings. Add chopped green onions. Combine well. Add fresh grated parmesan cheese. Continue stirring and allow to melt.
- You can choose to add a little sour cream or heavy cream at this point.
- Peggy makes large batches and freezes it in small containers. Always prepared for a party invitation or evening cocktail hour!
- Serve the mushroom pate warm in your favorite pottery bowl with toasted crusty bread on the side.
- Servings : 8-10 for appetizers
- Recipe Type : All Recipes, Appetizers, vegetarian
Creole Remoulade Sauce
My family has passed down this recipe for spicy New Orleans style Creole remoulade sauce for generations. I serve it...Read More
Spicy Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita
This sweet and spicy margarita is perfect for a warm spring evening or a hot summer night. Cinco de Mayo...Read More
Sesame Ginger Miso Veggie Bowl
Sesame ginger miso veggie bowl or any kind of bowl with a mixture of fresh ingredients allows for flexibility and...Read More
Comments are closed.