Hartwood restaurant in Tulum combined the earthy flavors of lentils with the sweet and tart flavors of papaya, grapefruit and lime to create this colorful and flavorful palate. I had to recreate the recipe at home. It’s almost too pretty too eat!
Hartwood Lentil and Papaya Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette
Published on August 7, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 cup dried lentils (French, brown or red)
- 2 cups water
- sea salt
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 carrot, peeled and halved
- 3 bay leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch amaranth leaves, or substitute kale or chard torn into 1" pieces
- 1/2 papaya, peeled, seeded and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 pink grapefruit, supremed, (peeled and sliced into segments)
- 1/2 cup lime and honey vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 TBSP honey
- 1 cup papaya grapefruit sauce:
- 1/2 papaya
- 1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Cook the lentils: combine water, 2 tsp salt, onion, carrot and bay leaves in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes until lentils are tender. Remove from heat, drain and cool. Discard onion, carrot and bay leaves. Season lentils to taste with salt and pepper.
- Make lime and honey vinaigrette: Combine 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 3/4 cup olive oil, 2 TBSP honey, pinch of salt to taste in a small bowl and whisk until emulsified. Place the lentils in a large bowl and toss with vinaigrette.
- Add the chopped green leaves, chard or kale or amaranth if you can find it. Add sliced grapefruit supremes, squash and papaya and toss gently so the fruit does not break apart. Adjust the seasoning and add more vinaigrette if needed.
- Next make the papaya grapefruit sauce: Combine papaya, grapefruit juice, honey and water in blender and puree until smooth.
- To serve, dab the papaya grapefruit sauce onto each individual salad plate. Use the back of a spoon to swirl it. Gently arrange the lentil salad on top.
- Servings : 6
- Recipe Type : All Recipes, Salads, vegetarian
Creole Remoulade Sauce
My family has passed down this recipe for spicy New Orleans style Creole remoulade sauce for generations. I serve it...Read More
Spicy Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita
This sweet and spicy margarita is perfect for a warm spring evening or a hot summer night. Cinco de Mayo...Read More
Sesame Ginger Miso Veggie Bowl
Sesame ginger miso veggie bowl or any kind of bowl with a mixture of fresh ingredients allows for flexibility and...Read More
Comments are closed.