The citrus vendor at our local farmers market had some beautiful Louisiana red navel oranges this weekend. If you have blood oranges or even regular navel oranges available you can use these too. I love the simplicity of this orange salad. It makes a visual statement on the table with the bold bright colors of the orange contrasted with salad greens and mint and the dark black olives. The contrast of flavors of the sweet yet acidic oranges and salty feta and olives are pleasing to the palate and can be a refreshing accompaniment to a spicy main course at any time of the year.
Red or Blood Orange Salad
Published on January 28, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- 4 oranges, preferably navel or blood oranges
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 8 to 10 black olives, pitted and halved
- 4 TBSP feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 TBSP chopped mint
- fresh salad greens of your choice
- pinch of salt
- Cut the peel and pith from the oranges making sure to remove all of the outer membrane without losing too much of the flesh. Cut the oranges into 1/8-inch slices.
- Slice the red onion thinly. Slice pitted black olives in half. Chop 2 TBSP mint and reserve one sprig for a garnish.
- Here is where the fun begins and you get to use your artistic abilities to compose the salad. Arrange the salad greens on a platter and the oranges in overlapping slices down the platter. Place the sliced red onion on top.
- Sprinkle with the vinegar and drizzle the olive oil over the oranges, salad green and onion mixture. (Sometimes I also like to use my citrus salad dressing which you can find on the blog.)
- Next top with the sliced black olives and the crumbled feta. Sprinkle the mint over the oranges. Season with a pinch of salt. Garnish with a sprig of mint. Admire your creation and then serve!
- Servings : 4-6
- Recipe Type : All Recipes, Salads, vegetarian
- Servings : 8 servings of bisque with 6-8 stuffed heads/person. Extra stuffed heads can be frozen.
- Cook Time : 120 Min
Crawfish bisque is typically a treasured passed down family recipe. The aromatic roux based bisque with spicy crawfish stuffed heads...Read More
Creole Remoulade Sauce
My family has passed down this recipe for spicy New Orleans style Creole remoulade sauce for generations. I serve it...Read More
Spicy Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita
This sweet and spicy margarita is perfect for a warm spring evening or a hot summer night. Cinco de Mayo...Read More
Comments are closed.