Thanksgiving, New Orleans style, always includes my mom’s stuffed mirlitons, sometimes known as vegetable pears, stuffed with shrimp and a little creole seasoning.
Stuffed Mirlitons with Shrimp
Published on November 18, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 12 mirlitons ( usually available at local groceries and farmers markets in the fall)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 3 pods garlic, minced
- 2 TBSP parsley, chopped
- 11/2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of stale french bread broken into small pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp creole seasoning
- pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
- Put mirlitons in a large pot and cover with water; boil until soft and feel very tender when a thin knife is inserted into the mirliton. Cool mirlitons, cut in half, remove seed, and then scrape out meat (inside of mirliton). Coarsely chop the mirliton and place into a colander over a bowl to drain. Reserve the mirliton shells for stuffing.
- While the mirlitons are boiling and cooling, sauté all of the seasonings and the shrimp in a large dutch oven. Once the chopped mirliton has drained for about 10 minutes, add to the pot with the seasonings and shrimp. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in thyme and creole seasoning and a pinch of cayenne if desired.
- Soak stale french bread in water or reserved juices from chopped mirliton. Squeeze water from french bread and add to pot. Keep chopping and combining bread and milliton mixture with a wooden spoon., Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. You want the consistency to be chunky but not too mushy.
- Spoon mirliton and shrimp mixture into shells and top with breadcrumbs. Can freeze individually wrapped mirlitons at this point if you wish. Thaw before baking. Place fresh or thawed mirlitons on sheet pan and bake at 350 for about 20-30 minutes until warm all the way through. Welcome to New Orleans Thanksgiving!
- Servings : 12
- Recipe Type : All Recipes, Vegetable Dishes & Sides
Creole Remoulade Sauce
My family has passed down this recipe for spicy New Orleans style Creole remoulade sauce for generations. I serve it...Read More
Spicy Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita
This sweet and spicy margarita is perfect for a warm spring evening or a hot summer night. Cinco de Mayo...Read More
Sesame Ginger Miso Veggie Bowl
Sesame ginger miso veggie bowl or any kind of bowl with a mixture of fresh ingredients allows for flexibility and...Read More
Comments are closed.