Palmiers, those sweet and buttery little puff pastry caramelized treats are perfect for tea time or afternoon coffee. If you have homemade puff pastry, you can really impress your friends. However, store bought sheets of puff pastry works just as well. Quick and easy and out of the oven in 15 minutes! Package them in holiday cellophane bags and tie with a bright ribbon for a sweet treat gift for friends.
Published on December 17, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 sheet of puff pastry dough
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425. If puff pastry dough is in the freezer, remove and let it thaw for about 30 minutes. Roll it out gently just to smooth out lines where it was folded.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a measuring cup or small bowl and mix well. If you choose not to use cinnamon, use a little more sugar. Do not be afraid to be liberal with the sugar. Sprinkle 1/3 of the sugar cinnamon mixture on the puff pastry sheet.
- Fold the edges into the middle. Use rolling pin to lightly roll and flatten the dough with the sugar. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the sugar on the folded, halved pastry . Fold the edges into the center and roll gently again with the rolling pin to embed the sugar.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 of sugar on the dough. Fold the dough in half. You should have a long, narrow puff pastry log. Place on a sheet pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This will make the palmiers easier to cut.
- Remove the puff pastry log from the refrigerator and place it on the cutting board. Take a sharp knife and cut the log into 1/2" slices.
- Place the slices on the sheet pan. I like to lightly press the palmiers into the pan with my hand so they will stay flat and closed into palm shaped cookies.
- Place the sheet pan in the oven. Bake for about 6-8 minutes until browned on one side. Turn the palmiers over quickly with a spatula and then bake for another 6-8 minutes until browned on both sides.
- Remove pan from oven and use a spatula to remove palmers from sheet pan immediately . They will crisp and harden almost immediately. Allow to cool before serving. Best if consumed the first day.
- Servings : 8 servings of bisque with 6-8 stuffed heads/person. Extra stuffed heads can be frozen.
- Cook Time : 120 Min