Are you looking for something a little different than the traditional apple pie for the holidays? This Norwegian apple cake is almost like an upside down apple pie, with all of the cinnamon and spices that you are looking for in a fresh fruit pie. The crisp apple slices are baked in a deep dish with a browned souffle like almond crust on top. My dear friend, Inger Utne, and her family taught me how to make this yummy cake when I visited them for Christmas one year in Bergen, Norway. So, I call it my Norwegian Apple Cake!
Norwegian Apple Cake
Published on November 15, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 1 lb tart apples, (about 3 apples) such as Granny Smith, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4TBSP sugar plus 3 TBSP sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 oz butter
- 4 oz flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3TBSP sugar
- 4 TBSP sliced almonds
- Toss peeled and sliced apples with 4 TBSP sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice and place in bottom of a buttered deep dish, loaf pan or baking dish. I use a small souffle dish.
- Make a thick white sauce with butter and flour. Beat egg yolks with 3 TBSP sugar until thick and creamy. When butter/flour mixture has cooled, mix in egg yolk sugar mixture. Fold in 3 TBSP of the sliced almonds.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt and fold carefully into yolk and almond mixture. Pour egg mixture gently on top so as not to deflate eggs. Sprinkle remaining 1 TBSP of sliced almonds on top.
- Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes or until puffy and light brown on top. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream and a dusting of powdered sugar if you like.
- Servings : 6
- Recipe Type : All Recipes, Sweets
- Servings : 8 servings of bisque with 6-8 stuffed heads/person. Extra stuffed heads can be frozen.
- Cook Time : 120 Min
Crawfish bisque is typically a treasured passed down family recipe. The aromatic roux based bisque with spicy crawfish stuffed heads...Read More
Creole Remoulade Sauce
My family has passed down this recipe for spicy New Orleans style Creole remoulade sauce for generations. I serve it...Read More
Spicy Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita
This sweet and spicy margarita is perfect for a warm spring evening or a hot summer night. Cinco de Mayo...Read More
Comments are closed.