Use your favorite pie crust or my shortbread tart dough recipe below for a delicious and delicate key lime pie. I make my pie in a tart pan with a removable bottom. So rather than a deep dish pie it is more in the style of a European tart. You can serve the key lime tart with fresh whipped cream if you like or simply as is with the contrast of the tart flavor of the creamy lime filling and the crunch of the buttery shortbread crust.
Key Lime Pie
Published on January 3, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Tart Dough:
- 1 C flour
- 1 TBSP sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp lime zest
- ½ C butter
- 1 TBSP or more as needed ice cold water
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Key Lime filling:
- 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ C fresh squeezed lime juice
- ½ tsp lime zest, finely grated
- For Tart Dough, Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly mix flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest in mixing bowl.
- Cut chilled butter into flour with your fingertip until texture resembles cornmeal.
- Use a fork to mix ice water into dough. Add vanilla. Combine dough until it forms a ball.
- Press dough into 9” tart pan with a removable bottom making sure to press dough up along the fluted sides of the pan.
- Chill for about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for about 15 - 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let the tart cool before adding the filling.
- For filling, Combine condensed milk, 3 egg yolks, lime zest and lime juice. Stir ingredients gently with a whisk blending until smooth.
- Let mixture stand for about 10 minutes while the tart shell cools. Using a rubber spatula, scrape filling into cooled tart shell.
- Place in 350 oven and bake for about 15 minutes until set. Do not allow the tart to brown or bubble.
- Let the tart cool and then refrigerate. Remove cooled key lime tart from the pan. Place on a platter or pie plate, garnish with slices of fresh lime and mint leaves. Can also serve with fresh whipped cream!
- Servings : 8 servings of bisque with 6-8 stuffed heads/person. Extra stuffed heads can be frozen.
- Cook Time : 120 Min