My friend Keith Villere introduced me to grilled caesar salad many years ago. Although it may seem mundane and commonplace these days, if you can throw it on the grill and stay out of the kitchen, it meets all of my criteria as an appropriate side for a summer meal. Not to mention, it’s yummy, super easy, and a nice change from the ubiquitous caesar salad.
Published on June 29, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 4 romaine lettuce hearts or 1 romaine lettuce heart per person
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus 2 TBSP
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- fresh black pepper, ground
- 1 TBSP fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, oregano or any combination, chopped
- Cut the romaine lettuce hearts in half and drizzle evenly with the 2 TBSP of olive oil. Place the romaine, cut side down on a medium hot grill. Grill for 2-3 minutes total, turning to char all sides.
- Prepare the salad dressing. You may prefer a traditional creamy caesar dressing. I prefer a light herby dressing for the summer. Place freshly squeezed lemon juice in a bowl and slowly add olive oil whisking until well combined. Then add salt and pepper to taste and fresh chopped herbs.
- Place 2 halves of the romaine on each salad plate. Drizzle the grilled and wilted hearts with the lemon herb dressing. Serve immediately.
This Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Chèvre and Kalamata Olives is a delicious, light summertime salad. I love the thinly sliced...Read More