Dirty Rice is not your typical Thanksgiving dressing. My family did not ever serve cornbread dressing or any other kind of traditional dressing with our turkey. Rather, my Creole grandmother served a traditional New Orleans favorite that we identified as a type of dressing or a side with our Thanksgiving meal, Dirty Rice. Dirty rice has been compared to a type of jambalaya. This rice dressing uses the giblets, liver, gizzard and heart of the chicken, as well as a combination of ground pork and beef. Not being a tremendous fan of chicken gizzards and hearts, I modified the family recipe and use only the chicken liver combined with the meats.
Published on November 20, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 2 chicken livers and 6 gizzards, optional or 6 chicken livers and eliminate gizzards
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- ½ lb. ground meat (beef and pork)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 11/2 cups cooked rice
- 4 green onions
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped fine
- Simmer chicken livers and/or gizzards in 2 cups of water until slightly pink but cooked through. Cool and chop.
- Sauté beef and pork in oil, breaking into small pieces until brown. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery to meat and cook until veggies are transparent, but not brown. Add all seasonings.
- Add chopped liver and gizzards to meat mixture with seasonings and combine.
- Boil rice as usual and when done mix cooked rice with meat mixture/ dressing. Add chopped green onions and parsley. Remove from heat for 10 minutes before serving. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Can either serve immediately or place in a baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes until heated through and bread crumbs have browned.
- Servings : 8 sides
- Recipe Type : All Recipes, Rice, Grains, Noodles, Vegetable Dishes & Sides
Creole Remoulade Sauce
My family has passed down this recipe for spicy New Orleans style Creole remoulade sauce for generations. I serve it...Read More
Spicy Strawberry Jalapeno Margarita
This sweet and spicy margarita is perfect for a warm spring evening or a hot summer night. Cinco de Mayo...Read More
Sesame Ginger Miso Veggie Bowl
Sesame ginger miso veggie bowl or any kind of bowl with a mixture of fresh ingredients allows for flexibility and...Read More
Comments are closed.