Granny Smith, Fuji, Gala or Honeycrisp. For the best consistency and flavor use any one or a combination of these firm, crisp apples for a perfectly divine old fashioned apple crisp. Delicious when served straight from the oven warm with vanilla ice cream. Also love the leftovers cold the next morning for breakfast with tea or coffee. Makes the whole house smell so good!
Published on April 7, 2019 | By surleplat |
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Crumble topping:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped and lightly roasted walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup white or brown sugar
- 5 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Apple filling:
- Grated zest and juice of one orange or one lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 medium firm and tart apples
- Use an 8x8 baking dish that is about 2 " deep. Preheat oven to 350. Butter the baking dish.
- For the topping: Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Slowly add the melted butter. Use you hands or a fork to blend the butter and mix it in with the other ingredients until it is a somewhat dry but crumbly mix.
- Filling: Quarter and core the apples. Do not peel them. Cut each quarter into 3-4 chunks. Place the apples in a bowl and toss with either lemon or orange juice and zest. Add cinnamon and sugar.
- Pour the apple cinnamon mixture into the buttered pan. Evenly distribute the crumble over the apples. Bake for 1-11/2 hours until the crisp is nice and brown on top and the apple mixture is bubbling. It is delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Also saves well in the refrigerator. Great when cold with your coffee in the morning too.